During the Museum Week 20 to 26 April 2020 we will unfortunately only be able to show this showpiece digitally. The online visitor can discover a little more about this special service every day during this Museum Week.

Photo tableware - inventory number: v2521 dating: first half 19th century

Monday 20 April 2020

  • Introduction

A beautiful crockery, painted with village scenes from Zuid-Holland. It has been in the possession of Museum Joure for some time now. In 2003 the museum received a large collection of objects in the field of coffee, tea and tobacco from the former Douwe Egberts museum in Utrecht... This crockery was one of the donations.

It's been in the Empire tea corner for the last few years. Inconspicuous. Time to bring this beautiful crockery to the attention during the Museum Week and first do some research on it. Because there is actually little known about this service. The Douwe Egberts museum bought it in 1978 at the auction in Amsterdam. Nothing else is described. This service consists of a coffee jug, tea jug, milk jug, rinsing bowl and six cups and saucers. The sugar bowl is missing, not unlikely that it ever fell into shreds. Whether more cups and saucers have belonged to it is not known. The coffee and tea set is made of porcelain and beautifully painted with village scenes and has a lot of gilding. The sleek design and much gilding fits in the Empire period in the beginning of the 19th century.

With ceramics you immediately pay attention to the brands. These are brief on this crockery. Only under the rinsing bowl is a brand painted in blue enamel, it looks like a V with on both legs also a small v. Or you can see it as two arrows. Next to it the number 8. On two saucers is a decorative letter L printed in porcelain. After a search this brand leads to the porcelain factory La Courtille in Paris. This hard paste porcelain factory was founded in 1772 by Jean-Baptiste Locré in an area of Paris called La Courtille. Locré was accompanied by Laurent Russinger in December of the same year. By 1773, the factory had registered its mark of two crossed arrows with the Lieutenant General of the Paris police. In 1787 Locré sold the company to Russinger. After having taught the trade to his successors, the Pouyat brothers, Russinger retired in 1808. Porcelain factory Courtille operated until 1823.

(source: website Britisch Museum, bibliography Aileen Dawson 'French Porcelain - A Catalogue of Britisch Museum Collection, London, 1994)

More beautifully painted porcelain is known of this factory. Among other things this same model crockery but with different images.

Tuesday 21 April 2020

  • Villages South Holland

Each part of the tableware in Museum Joure depicts a different village in the province of Zuid-Holland. Hand painted and gilded on it and then fired again in the oven to make it washable.

Which villages are on it and why are these villages painted on this service?
The following villages are depicted on the tableware, sometimes two different villages per tableware section:
LONGER SHORT - rinsing bowl
T DORP ALPHEN - coffee pot
LONGER SHORTER? - milk jug

All these villages are situated on the waterfront and this can also be seen on the pictures on the tableware. Why are these villages depicted and how does the painter get the pictures? After contact with the Historical Associations and museums in these villages it became clear where the townscapes come from.

Wednesday 22 April 2020

  • City and village writer of Rhineland II

Map Zuid-Holland, 1867

Brabant Historical Information Center (BHIC)

Map Zuid-Holland, 1687

history ofzuidholland.nl

Zuid-Holland villages on a service: Waddinxveen, Korteraar, Langeraar, Boskoop, Woubrugge, Alphen, Zevenhoven, Hazerswoude, Sluipwijk, Hazerswoude, Oude Wetering and Hoogmade. Villages that are mentioned in the latest work De Nederlandsche stad- en dorpbeschrijver by the Amsterdam writer Lieve van Ollefen. It was published in collaboration with R. Bakker by H.A. Banse in Amsterdam. The total work consists of eight volumes, published between 1791 and 1811. The books contain oval engravings of the villages.

The eighth and last part of the work comes out in 1801 and describes the villages and towns of Rhineland II, the eastern part, around Alphen aan de Rijn. Some of these villages appear on the coffee and tea set.

Rhijnland is the area around the Old Rhine, once the northern border of the Roman Empire. With the many branches of this river, the Rhijnland stretches roughly from Utrecht to Katwijk aan Zee. The many waterways have been of great importance in opening up the villages and towns for trade and transport.

Van Ollefen describes in his work the villages as he saw them. In addition to their location, the accessibility by public transport, in those days the stagecoach or horse-drawn barge, and the quality of the roads are also described. Furthermore a piece of history of that place and the description of the coat of arms of the town, village or seigniory. We don't know exactly how faithful the engravings are. Many villages are in any case much older than 1801. On the map from 1687 most of them are already indicated.

In the publication, the descriptions of the town or village are preceded by a print in an oval with the name of the town and its coat of arms underneath. The engravings are signed with Anna C. Brouwer fec., Anna Catharina Brouwer. Born in 1772 in Amsterdam. In earlier works Anna Brouwer also gave the engravings the name of the draughtsman or painter after whose design the engraving was made. In the latest edition we can assume that the engravings are by her hand.

Her designs show a playful and lively interpretation of the cityscape. In a dark foreground she places decorative figures, such as farmers in the fields, pipe-smoking gentlemen, fishermen, mother and child, pointing to the city or playing children. The foreground contrasts with the lighter image of the city or village, creating a strong effect of depth. Her engravings are extremely detailed and meticulous.

In 1976, a reprint of De Nederlandsche stad- en dorpbeschrijver was published by the European Library in Zaltbommel, after a reprint of only the pages with illustrations had been published by the same publisher in 1964.

These prints from 1801 can only have served as an example for the painting of the tableware in Museum Joure.

(1801) Part VIII: Rhijnland (eastern part, around Alphen aan den Rijn with a.o. Leiderdorp and Waddinxveen)

Thursday 23 April 2020

  • Rinsing bowl

Which villages are depicted on the washbasin? The villages Waddinxveen and Langeraar-Korteraar.

The rinsing bowl is often part of the coffee and tea set. Useful for rinsing the tea leaves or coffee grounds out of the cup. On the underside of only the rinsing bowl you will find a mark in blue. Until now we assume that it is from the porcelain factory La Courtille, Paris. Whether the crockery is painted there or elsewhere is not known.

What were the characteristics of these villages around 1800? The text underneath the print gives a brief idea:

Den Agriculture, Tilebakkery
Paper mill, Meebrouwery
And peat trade is now flourishing.
In't everything brings a lot of benefits
Gives 'd Ingezeet'n a good existence
And does their dayly work in ample profit.

The pictures of the washbasin match the prints from De Nederlandsche stad- en dorpbeschrijver. Even the figures and animals are painted in the same pose. The porcelain painter had to come up with the colours himself. So the question is whether the houses and the church were really white or whether the painter interpreted this from the print.
It was quite common in those days to copy prints and engravings and to use them for images on for example silver, on ceramics or to carve in wood.

Van Ollefen wrote in his description of Waddinxveen that the village is '...surrounded by large and wide puddles...'. At the end of the eighteenth century, the 1137 inhabitants were engaged in agriculture and trading hemp, among other things. Van Ollefen called the Gouwkade and the area around the Waddinxveen Bridge places of great activity, partly due to the shipping industry and the craftsmen gathered there. Anyone who wanted to go for a walk at that time had to take into account that the Dorrekenskade was badly passable in rough weather because of 'the violence of the waters'.
The church in Waddinxveen was demolished in 1838, even the location of the old church can no longer be determined. The place where the presbytery once stood is still known.

Thanks a lot:
Bart Wiekart
HGW (Historical Society Waddinxveen)


This place buys a lot of people,
It needs maintenance,
There 't Water Visch, and 't Land the Grain
That's okay, if it's built on.
The AAR that divides it in two,
Improves the village's opportunity.

The 19th century painting shown here is from the Ter Aar Cultural Historical Museum. The church is recognizable. According to the signature it was painted by Cornelis Gerrit Verburgh. In 1860 he painted this depiction of 'Wonderfulness of Ter Aar' with the Kerkbuurtse Brug across the Ringsloot, which runs parallel to the Ringdijk and further on the church.

Thanks a lot:
George Reurings
Culture Historical Society Ter Aar

How different these villages look more than 200 years later. What remains for us are the prints and paintings on this tableware, although these village views are impressions and therefore not entirely true to nature.

Friday 24 April 2020

  • Teapot

The two villages on the teapot are Boskoop and Woubrugge.

The teapot, like the bowl, shows two villages in an almost circular golden frame. The spout, a vulnerable part of the teapot, has been restored with a silver frame. The lid with gilded round knob falls within the rim of the teapot. Both villages show life on the water. At Boskoop, the trekking boat with horse in front on the towpath is a nice detail.

May any place or spot on blossom and prosperity glory
Guess it's this village, so it's shown by art;
There flattered and more and more richly rewarded,
And that's why zig nooid then as a famous hordes of praise.
The tree that's grown here
Makes that the BOSKOOP lacks praise everywhere.

From the Historische Vereniging Boskoop we received two photos with the bridge over the Gouwe. One photo shows a steel bridge from the beginning of the 20th century. The seesaw bridge has been replaced. On the photo of the current situation, the characteristic steel lift bridge that came there in 1935/1936.

Thanks a lot:
Arnold Elsholz
Historical Association Boskoop










Forestry bridges' perimeter gave welëer
Lots of peat to burn. –
But now it gives a lot more,
Through clean, fruitless countries.
'S Village prosperity blossoms as well
By Inland Shipping.


Saturday 25 April 2020

  • Coffee jug

A village with urban allure.

The coffee pot has the village of Alphen under the spout. The nice thing about this image is that there is a tea cupola on it. Extra nice on a coffee and tea set and matching the museum about coffee and tea. In the 18th century these typical Dutch buildings were placed in the back of the garden of the well-to-do. Often the tea domes were situated at the through water so there was entertainment while enjoying a cup of tea, or something stronger.

Arc't a single Neêrlansch village looked upon and murdered,
To Fame and Listen, and to sumptuous Landsdouw:
It's Alphen, that oh her vast size
Rather the name of town, as a village, would deserve.
This village that has been built everywhere on 't heerlijkts,
Was considered to be the midpoint of Rhineland.

Alphen has changed and how! In the meantime Alphen has grown into a village with urban allure. Already then described under the print.

On this picture you can still see the teacup at the waterfront. On April 7, 1916 there was a big fire in the centre which turned the Dutch Reformed church into a ruin.


On an aerial photo from 1952 the tea cupola is still there. After that, the appearance of the center from the Old Rhine has completely changed.

Thanks a lot:
Ria and Jenny
Historical Society Alphen ad Rijn


Sunday 26 April 2020

  • Milk jug

What's wrong with this milk jug?

The milk jug has a village on its belly, with church, situated on the water and with a sailing ship. Underneath it is Shorteraar-Langeraar. Amongst the people that the history the print is not known in this area.
Leafing through the reprint of the town and village writer of Rhineland II, it turns out to be the village of Koudekerk. Could the painter have gotten confused by painting so many villages and accidentally put Langeraar - Korteraar under it?

As long as it takes with Lime and Stone to build;
And Pan bakery gives a steady advantage,
The Koudekerk won't be lacking either.
This village has all the glory on its good and fertile soil,
At which the Landman always found his most advantage.
It may also be the name of one of the most pleasant regions.


Monday 27 April 2020

  • cups


ZEEVENHOOVEN used to be possible,
On more brilliance and prestige praise
than now, because the Veen
Merkelykhoord is less called.
't Veenen gives 't existence here,
But once the village will undoubtedly go to ruin.

There is a photo from before 1935 of a similar church as shown on the headline.

Thanks a lot:
Frits Mesman
Historical Circle Liemeer


Every one of the soils of the Hazard;
where they found Welêer a lot of advantage;
where they still see the existence
of the family through the farm,
and also through the tree
nursery and the peat trade.


On this picture we see a similar church as on the crockery. The drawing is probably an amalgamation of church and drawbridge at the Mayor Warnaarkade.

Thanks a lot:
Henk de Boer
Historical Museum Hazerswoude


As long as one peat in Neerland fire, SLUYPWYK
will not miss
its good stand,
in Rhynlands-oord This village has in many ways for.
Then you can see the scroll of history:
It's scarcely known in 's Lands Geschiedenissen.

Sluipwijk 1904 - edition T.J. Kousbroek - Gouda

Suburb 1955

Sluipwijk 2011

A beautiful image through the centuries of Sluipwijk with the permanent striking turret.

Thanks a lot:
Nel van der Bas
Regional Museum Reeuwijk


The Land 't which once was Peat Ground,
There after a large pond,
Gives us now Grains, and many other kinds of Fruits, So
one praises her opportunity,
Om 't schoon schooner here by Nature scattered. -
Once the flood made this craft sigh sadly.


This pleasantly situated town,
Enjoy its prosperity most by Used Shipping:
By Agriculture and Shipyards: By
species of Shops and Advantage'ge Thuinderij,
The Leidsche-meir brings a lot of cleanliness and benefit here:
But it also threatened to ruin 't Dorp completely.


This village is located in Rhynlands,
Brings on best Cheese and Butter,
and through its farm
to Rhynland continues new splendor.


  • comments

The saucers are decorated with golden edges and in the middle is a floral motif with lanceolate petals. On two saucers a decorative letter L is printed in the porcelain.

Even though the tableware is not completely cool anymore, it is still a special coffee and tea set. It still raises questions:

  1. Who did this crockery belong to, or who commissioned the painting?
  2. Is the crockery painted in France or perhaps in the Netherlands? By whom?
  3. Where's the sugar bowl and which village stood on it?

If you have any comments or additions, please feel free to contact the curator of Museum Joure.

Further thanks to the people who completed the history of these villages in Zuid-Holland. As far as possible, we have also tried to trace the rightful owners of the photographic material.